Pages

Friday, December 24, 2010

Updates on Blue Winter Decorations





Winter 2010 is all about blue, blue and more blue!
















Blue...calm, cool, peacfeful. Something old...something new... I love blue.

The glass bowl has been with us since 2000. I used it for dried potpourri many winters ago. During Spring, I replace the potpourri with wooden spheres and place the bowl in the family room. Now it contains assorted blue, gold, copper, silver and white ornament balls and now sits on top of the red-and-blue storage chest in our living room.

The huge plate on the side table was a hand-me-down from my mother-in-law in 2006. She bought it from Pier1. All year, I took the plate off the rack and placed the plate on the dining table. The white glass vase on the side table was purchased from Pier1 in 2006 with a larger identical piece. It has been a centerpiece in Winter 2006. Now, I added the silk magnolia and hydrangea flowers that I purchased from Beverly's in 2006.

The table runner (matching the one on the dining table) was purchased from Tuesday Morning in Spring 2010. The two runners sat inside the storage closet until Winter 2010.
The table settings have been around for so many years. The blue glass plates and glasses were purchased from Walmart back in 2005. I used them to stage our patio table when we were selling our home in Antioch. Each piece cost about $2. I got them all on mark down sale.

The soup bowls were part of a complete set, which we use every Thanksgiving dinner. I bought them in Winter 2001 from Mervynns as a gift to my mother-in-law, but she returned the set to us in 2003 because she decided blue was not her favorite anymore. They work well because of the turquoise and green vines with small purple grape fruits that decorate the rim of plates and cups. The set fits our vineyard home perfectly.

The four pieces of napkins were $0.50 each from Burlington Coat Factory, purchased in 2006. I purchased the blue and jaded napkin rings from Pier1 a few days ago for $3.49 each. Yep, I splurged on those rings, but you have to agree, they added the much needed bling!

The capiz placemats were purchased by my mother-in-law when she traveled to the Philippines in 2004. The set was her gift to us.

The two vases were purchased in 2004 from the 99 cents store in South San Francisco, CA. Yes, they cost $0.99 each, believe it or not. They used to hold the red and green berry ball for 4 years, until I decided they needed a face lift this year. I added the feather "nests", which were actually ornaments purchased for $1.49 each at K-Mart just last night. I bought four (the last four pieces), the two are under the peacock ornaments, which I purchased in 2006 from Target for $7 for both. (I used to hang each peacock on top of our paintings. The peacocks were in storage for 2 years since we moved to this new place. Now, I finally got to use them.

I added glittery blue sticks on each vase. I bought 2 bunches for $2.49 each at K-Mart last night along with the feather ornaments. I also added silver thistles with strands and stars; they were part of our New Year's decor in 2007.

The two golden votive candle holders were purchased in 2008, which I use every Winter since then.

I placed glass marbles and rocks of blue, green and white on the table runner and placed one strand of glittery chain. These were part of previous decorations many years ago. My daughter used to play with the marbles when she was 7 years old. Now that she is a teen, I decided to add them as decorations. The glass marbles and rocks make the table sparkle, like ice.

The glass snowflakes (2 blue on dining table and 2 clear on side table) were purchased from K-Mart for $1.49 each.

I hung a 12-piece set of icicles (K-Mart $1.49) on our dining room chandelier. They came in grayish blue, baby pink and silver.

The hurricane lamp on the side table was from HomeGoods, purchased in Spring 2010. I bought a votive with blue-green candle for $1 from Dollar Store back in Summer of 2010. I put the lamp together in Fall 2010 and placed it on our kitchen counter. Now, Winter 2010, the lamp decorated our side table in the formal living room.

By reinventing what we already have and giving them a different look by adding some bargain finds and re-arranging things made the decor looking fresh and new without breaking the bank!

No comments:

Post a Comment